Crockpot Shredded Salsa Chicken
Life went from zero to sixty in a matter of a week with the start of the new semester. After my first day of classes I decided it was time to bust out the trusty crock pot since spare time is a bit scarce these day.
Between homework and Beachbody Coaching, I have been one busy bee. This shredded chicken seriously takes about 3 minutes to get into the crock pot. You can make it as spicy of as mild as you want and the best part is… (drum roll please)…. only 4 ingredients and so much flavor. WIN.
It is perfect for burritos, tacos, taco salads and burrito bowls. It has become the perfect, quick, easy meal for me when I come home from class starving.
If you want to make it mild, just use the “mild” Rotel and if you want it spicy, use the “hot with habaneros.” Don’t worry, there are very little habaneros in the rotel, so you won’t be eating fire. It just has a nice little kick. Here is the link for the Clean Taco Seasoning. I wouldn’t recommend using the packets of seasoning but if you must, make sure it has no MSG.
- 1 lb chicken breast (thawed or frozen)
- 1 can Rotel Tomatoes (either mild or hot)
- 3 T of Clean Taco Seasoning (link above)
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- Place chicken in crock pot
- Sprinkle taco seasoning evenly
- Pour in can of tomatoes with juice
- Add chicken broth
- Cook on low for 5-7 hours or on high for 3-5. Check chicken after a few hours to make sure you it doesn't over cook. It is done when it shreds easily with a fork.
- Turn off crock pot and shred chicken. Mix well. The chicken will absorb most of the juice within a few minutes.