Ricotta Stuffed Chicken with Lemon and Basil
This stuffed chicken was inspired by Winter Storm Kayla. If you don’t live in Colorado or the Midwest you probably missed the memo about Winter Storm Kayla. She dropped about two feet of snow on Colorado Springs, but it did force me to spend some time in the kitchen creating some new recipes.
This meal is on the table in about 35 minutes, which is great for a busy week night! The lemon and basil reminded me of summer, which was a nice change from the blizzard outside. If you are doing the 21 Day Fix, this is great because it has no blue or yellow!!!
- 4 chicken breast fillets about 1 inch thick
- 1 cup ricotta, part skim, cheese
- ¼ cup sun dried tomatoes, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 cups asparagus, chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 1 cup basil, packed
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- zest of 1 lemon
- 3 tablespoons ricotta, part skim, cheese
- 3-4 tablespoons reduced sodium chicken broth
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place all the ingredients for basil topping in a food processor or blender and blend until smooth. This should be the consistency of pesto, so add more chicken stock if it is too thick. Set aside.
- Mix ricotta and sun dried tomatoes in a bowl and set aside.
- Pound chicken to 1 inch thickness and use a small knife to make a pocket in the chicken. Be careful not to cut all the way through. My chicken breasts were extremely thick so I sliced them lengthwise to make two chicken breasts before pounding them out.
- Divide the ricotta filling evenly among the four chicken breasts and use a toothpick to seal them
- Season chicken breasts with garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Heat oven safe skillet over medium high heat and spray with cooking spray. If you don't have an oven safe skillet just use what you have!
- Sear chicken for 2-3 minutes per side. Just until browned.
- Remove from heat and spoon basil mixture over top of each chicken breast. If you aren't using an oven safe skillet, place your chicken in a pyrex dish.
- Bake for 12 minutes
- Add asparagus to pan and cook for an additional 10 minutes.