We still gets tons of visits for the Healthy Stuffed Shells recipe, so for posterity’s sake, we are re-posting it here!
Healthy Stuffed Shells
Prep time: 30 mins
Cook time: 40 mins
Total time: 1 hour 10 mins
These can be made ahead and frozen.
- 1 box jumbo shells (white or whole wheat) You can even use lasagna!
- 3 teaspoons oil (olive oil, coconut or grapeseed)
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1½ cup ricotta cheese
- 1 package frozen spinach, defrosted, liquid squeezed out
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups pasta sauce
- 1½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cook shells for 9 minutes, drain and set aside.
- While shells are cooking heat oil in skillet over medium high heat.
- Saute garlic for 2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add ground turkey to skillet and brown, breaking up with wooden spoon. Season generously with salt and pepper.
- While turkey browns, mix ricotta, spinach, and eggs in a mixing bowl.
- Once turkey is browned, set aside to cool.
- Add cooled turkey and garlic to ricotta mixture and mix well.
- Pour 1 cup of pasta sauce in the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish.
- Stuff 24 shells with about 2 tablespoons of ricotta turkey mixture and place in prepared baking dish.
- Pour remaining 2 cups of pasta sauce over shells and stop with mozzarella cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes (1 hour if frozen), remove foil and bake for additional 10 minutes.
1 serving: 4 shells
Serving size: 4 shells Calories: 457 Fat: 15g Carbohydrates: 46g Protein: 36g
Homemade Pasta Sauce:
1 Yellow, 1 Red, 1 Green, 1 Blue
Jarred Pasta Sauce:
1 Yellow, 1 Red, ½ Green, ½ Purple, 1 Blue