Hello, lovelies! With summer coming to a close and the fall market prep season upon us, I wanted to share my first, and most popular pattern with you all! This quick chunky knit is PERFECT for fall market prep and uses under a skein of Lion Brand Thick and Quick (or any other super chunky yarn).
This pattern is super beginner friendly. If you can knit, purl and knit in the round, you can master this squishy textured hat!
For a printable PDF with directions for both Bulky (5) and Super Chunky (6), click here.
Lets get started, shall we?
- 1 Skein, Lion Brand Thick and Quick Yarn or Comparable Super Chunky (6) Weight Yarn (Approx 80 Yards)
- Size 13/9mm, 16” Circular Needles. I use ChiaoGoo 7400-C Twist Tip Interchangeable Complete Set, 4-Inch
- Size 15/10mm, 16” Circular Needles.
- Size 15/10mm DPNs or Magic Loop
- Stitch Marker. My favorite are ChiaoGoo Stitch Markers, Set of 40
- Tapestry Needle
- KBL- Knit through back loop
- K- Knit
- P- Purl
- K2TOG- Knit two stitches together
- DPNs- Double pointed needles
Brim (7 Rows):
With size 13/9mm needles:
Note: Feel free to use size 15/10mm needs for brim. This will cause a less fitted brim.
- Cast on 42 (add one additional stitch if you join by slipping last stitch over first)
- Join your work to knit in the round (careful not to twist work) and place stitch marker to indicate beginning of round.
- For 7 rows, *KBL, P* until you reach stitch marker.
- Feel free to add more rows until desired brim length is achieved!
Note: This pattern uses KBL to create a twisted rib. Feel free to do a standard 1×1 rib with K instead of KBL. This will create a different look and slightly less stretch than the twisted rib.
Body of Hat
Switch to size 15/10mm needles:
Row 1: Knit All
Row 2: *K4,P2; Repeat From * to End
Row 3-5: Repeat Row 2
Row 6: K2, *P2, K4; Repeat From * Until Last 4 Stitches, P2, K2
Row 7-9: Repeat Row 6
Row 10: *P2, K4; Repeat From * to End
Row 11-13: Repeat Row 10
Row 14-17: Repeat row 2
Row 18-20: Repeat row 6
Row 21: *K2tog, P2, K2; repeat from * to end (35 stitches)
Switch to DPNs or Magic Loop Method
Row 22: *P1, K4; repeat from * to end (35 Stitches)
Row 23: *P1, K2, K2tog; repeat from * to end (28 stitches)
Row 24: *P1, K1, K2tog; repeat from * to end (21 Stitches)
Row 25: K2tog; repeat from * until last stitch, K1 (11 Stiches)
Cut yarn leaving long tail, weave tail through all stitches, and weave in ends. Top with a pom if desired, but who doesn’t love a big fluffy pom? Am I right, guys?
Just like that, you are done!! Make sure to tag us on IG @the_burlap_kitchen so we can see your gorgeous work!
Note: This post contains Amazon affiliate links. This means that if you click on a link and make a purchase, I will receive a small commission at no cost to you. Thank you for supporting The Burlap Kitchen.